R.T.I. Act is an important milestone in the growth of the democratic system in the country. It has removed the wall of secrecy built against the common people by those holding in authority. The Act makes it statutory for the latter to reveal all unclassified information when and where required by an ordinary citizen of the county.
An Act to provide for setting out the practical regime of right to information for citizens to secure access to information under the control of public authorities, in order to promote transparency and accountability in the working of every public authority, the constitution of a Central Information Commission and State Information Commissions and for matters connected therewith or incidental thereto. More...
1. Inspect works, documents and records.
2. Take notes, extracts or certified copies of documents or records.
3. Take certified samples of material.
4. Obtain information in form of printouts, diskettes, floppies, tapes, video and cassettes or in any other electronic mode or through printouts.
"Information" means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force.
While filing an RTI application, the framing of the questions is very important. A slight misunderstanding or vague questions gives the PIO a chance to reject your application. Follow these guidelines:
• Use a white sheet of paper to write an application. There is no need to using Note-sheet, or the Court stamp paper. You can use your letter pad for asking for information.
• The matter can be hand written, or typed. There is no compulsion of typing the content.
• Make sure the application is legible and easy to read.
• There is no restriction on number of pages for asking information.
• Be very specific & ask to the point questions. Don't ask vague questions.
• Ask as many short questions as you like, but don't ask for voluminous information.
• Ask information always by writing your name and signature, and not by your post, as only citizen have the right to information.
Do not ask a question containing 'WHY'!
For example, questions like why you failed to pass the bill, is liable to be rejected for not covering under RTI Act.
Applicant should submit necessary requirements in white paper before the State Public Information Officer, Chief Office or Information Officers of Units. Corporation has posted required number of Information Officers and Appellate Authorities in all Units and workshops. In addition, application can be submitted at Operating Centres and Station Master Offices.
Application fee of Rs.10.00 can be remitted as detailed below:
(A) Cash Receipts issued by the Chief Office, Unit Offices and Workshops for having remitted the prescribed fee.
(B) Postal Order or Money Order drawn in favour of State Public Information Officer, KSRTC, Trivandrum.
(C) Bank Draft in favour of Financial Advisor & Chief Accounts Officer (FA&CAO), Chief Office, Trivandrum payable at Trivandrum.
(D) Court Fee Stamp or Treasury Chelan shall not accepted as application Fee in any case.